|1981 – 1985||Ph.D Manchester University, UK; thesis with Dr. M. J. Ware entitled Polycarboxylato Complexes of Iron(III)|
|1978 – 1981||B.Sc. (Hons) Chemistry, Manchester University, UK.|
|1999 – present||University of Karlsruhe (TH), now KIT, Full Professor of Inorganic Chemistry|
|1989 – 1999||Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Reader, Professor of Chemistry, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK|
|1988 – 1989||Lecturer, University of Kent at Canterbury, UK|
|1986 – 1988||Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Freiburg, Germany with Prof. Dr. H. Vahrenkamp|
Extramural activities and honours
|1996||Ciba-Geigy Award Fellowship|
|2002||Elected Fellow of Royal Society of Chemistry|
|2003||Visiting Professor, University of Otago (New Zealand)|
|2005||Visiting Professor, North-Eastern Normal University, Changchun, China|
|2007 onwards||Visiting Professor, NIMS, Tsukuba, Japan|
|2010||Visiting Professor, University of Lyon|
|2010 – 2014||Julius von Haast Award Fellowship (held at University of Otago)|
|2011||Walker Memorial Lecture, University of Edinburgh|
|2012||Wilsmore Fellow, University of Melbourne|
|2014||Seaborg Lectureship, University of California, Berkeley|
|2014 – 2015||Walton Fellowship Award as Visiting Professor at University College Dublin|
> 400 publications in peer-reviewed journals
> 300 oral presentations at international conferences (plenary, keynotes, invited, and contributed lectures) as well as at Universities and industrial companies
- Member of Editorial Boards of Inorganic Chemistry (to 2010), Journal of Bioinorganic Chemistry (to 2008), Phil. Trans. A. (to 2013) and Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry (current).
- Reviewer for ACS, RSC, Wiley-VCH, Science, Nature, etc. journals
- Reviewer and panel member and for various funding agencies, including IRCSET Ireland, EPSRC UK, ANR France, DFG Germany, ENSRC Canada, NHI USA, ISF Israel, FP7 Europe, PRF USA etc.
- Reviewer and panel member for Baden-Wuerttemberg-Stiftung and Ministry of Arts And Science, Baden-Wuerttemberg
- Regular member of Habiltation panel within Faculty of Chemistry and Biological Sciences, KIT
- Member of Senate Teaching Committee responsible for Candidates studying to be High School Teachers 2007 - 2011
- Frequently serve as external examiner on Ph.D thesis committees; as external reviewer for Habilitation candidates; as external member on staff promotion committees; also internal duties on search committees for faculty positions; promotion committees; PhD examination committees etc.
- Served on Panel of REF 2014 (UK Research Excellence Framework) 2011 - 2014
- Served on Advisory Panel of MPI für Bioanorganische Chemie, Mülheim an der Ruhr (2009 - 2013)
- Member of Dalton Council 1995 – 1998.
- Elected Councillor of Royal Society of Chemistry 2009 - 2013.